Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Third Lesson

In the third lesson, we began with teaching students about needs and wants of plants so that they would have a better understanding of basic needs, before moving to needs of people. Lorena taught the guided instruction portion, using a felt board and pictures so that the Kindergarteners could clearly see what plants and people need. This also allowed students who were called on to come up to the board and move the objects to either the "wants" column or the "needs" column, according to what they understood. Using the Integrative model, students could sort and compare in their minds the differences between needs and wants.

In terms of myself as a teacher during this lesson, I'm not sure that I am getting closer to my metaphor of teaching being like a gourmet grocery store, where students experience new things and acquire a taste for learning in ways they did not expect. It's hard for me to get past the behavior management issues enough to really delight in leading these children to really explore and learn. All I could think about what getting these children to complete the worksheet so I could get out of there. I think maybe it has something to do with how burnt out I've felt from the Ed School recently... because assignment after assignment keeps piling up and I don't even want to look at a lesson plan for a long time. Gee, what a great start to teaching!

No comments: